The Medical Interview. Edition: 3
The Medical Interview by Drs. Steven A. Cole and Julian Bird equips you to communicate effectively with your patients so you can provide optimal care! This best-selling, widely adopted resource presents a practical, systematic approach to honing your basic interviewing skills and managing common challenging communicating situations. Its Three-Function Approach - "Build the Relationship," "Assess and Understand," and Collaborative Management" offers straightforward tasks, behaviors, and skills that can be easily mastered, making this an ideal learning tool for beginners and a valuable reference for experienced healthcare professionals.
Our publishing partner, Elsevier, maintains a flat fee for shipping. Books are delivered in the UK via DHL and will require a signature upon delivery.
The standard delivery time within the UK is 2 working days from the date of invoice.
Manufactured on demand titles take an extra 3-5 working days.
At this time we only ship Elsevier book orders to addresses within the UK.
Brexit: We have been informed that some couriers are now charging additional fees for importing from the UK into the EU. The customer is responsible for the payment of any import duties that are in addition to the shipping costs already charged.
Table of Contents
I. Three Functions Of The Medical Interview
- Learning to Interview Using the Three Function Approach
- Why Three Functions?
- Function 1: Build The Relationship
- Function 2: Assess and Understand
- Function 3: Collaborative Management
II.Meeting the Patient
6. Ten Common Concerns
III. Structure of the Interview
7. Opening The Interview
8. Chief Complaint, Problem Survey, Patient Perspective, And Agenda Setting
9. History Of Present Illness
10, Past Medical History
- Family History
- Patient Profile And Social History
- Review Of Systems
- Mental Status
IV. Presentation and Documentation
15. Presentation and Documentation
V. Understanding Patients' Emotional Responses to Chronic Illness
16. Understanding Chronic Illness: Normal Reactions
17. Understanding Chronic Illness: Maladaptive Reactions
VI Advanced Applications
18. Stepped-Care Advanced Skills for Action Planning
19. Chronic Illness
20. Health Literacy and Communicating Complex Information for Decision-
21. Sexual Issues in the Interview
22. Interviewing Elderly Patients
23. Culturally Competent Medical Interviewing
24. Family Interviewing
25.Troubling Personality Styles and Somatization
26. Communicating with the Psychotic Patient
27. Breaking Bad News
27 (a). Sharing Difficult or "Bad" News: A Nine-Step Transactional Process of Transformation
28. Disclosure of Medical Errors and Apology
29. Alcohol And Risky Drinking
VII. HIGHER ORDER SKILLS
30. Nonverbal Communication
31. Use of the Self in Medical Care
32. Using Psychological Principles in the Medical Interview
33. Integrating Structure and Function
Appendix 1: Table of skills
Appendix 2: BAP Guide
Stock Last CheckedNov 28, 2021
Publication DateJan 24, 2014
Your Elsevier book orders are actioned within 48hrs during the working week. If any one item in your purchase is delayed we will send you what is in stock and will send on the remainder as soon as it arrives. This is provided at no additional shipping cost to you. Stock availability levels are updated on a daily basis. We ship directly from a UK warehouse.
We currently maintain a flat fee structure for shipping book titles from Elsevier. Buy as many Elsevier titles as you like the we will still charge you the same single item shipping fee.
Overview Delivery Methods
Books are delivered in the UK via DHL and will require a signature upon delivery.
Deliveries within the UK
- The standard delivery time within the UK is 2 working days from the date of invoice.
- Print on demand titles take 3-5 working days.
Where is my order? Order Tracking
To find out more information about your order, select from the relevant options below:
Deliveries to the UK and UK shippers
Your order should be delivered to you/your shipper within 2-3 working days.
To track any deliveries using DPD, click here.
If your order is for a print on demand title, your delivery time will be longer, please allow an extra 3-5 working days.