Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Edition: 5
Medical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, now in its fifth edition, offers medical students all they need to know to become safe and effective prescribers. It forms a complete, integrated resource for basic pharmaceutical science, pathophysiology, clinical pharmacology, and therapeutics.
Our publishing partner, Elsevier, maintains a flat fee for shipping. Books are delivered in the UK via DHL and will require a signature upon delivery.
The standard delivery time within the UK is 2 working days from the date of invoice.
Manufactured on demand titles take an extra 3-5 working days.
At this time we only ship Elsevier book orders to addresses within the UK.
Brexit: We have been informed that some couriers are now charging additional fees for importing from the UK into the EU. The customer is responsible for the payment of any import duties that are in addition to the shipping costs already charged.
SECTION 1 General principles
1. Principles of pharmacology and mechanisms of drug action
3. Drug discovery, safety and efficacy
4. The nervous system, neurotransmission and the peripheral autonomic nervous system
SECTION 2 The cardiovascular system
5. Ischaemic heart disease
6. Systemic and pulmonary hypertension
7. Heart failure
8. Cardiac arrhythmias
9. Cerebrovascular disease and dementia
10. Peripheral vascular disease
SECTION 3 The respiratory system
12. Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
13. Respiratory disorders: cough, respiratory stimulants, cystic fibrosis and neonatal respiratory distress syndrome
SECTION 4 The renal system
15. Disorders of micturition
16. Erectile dysfunction
SECTION 5 The nervous system
17. General anaesthetics
18. Local anaesthetics
19. Opioid analgesics and the management of pain
20. Anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics
21. The major psychotic disorders: schizophrenia and mania
22. Depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy
24. Extrapyramidal movement disorders and spasticity
25. Other neurological disorders: multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease and Guillain-Barré syndrome
SECTION 6 The musculoskeletal system
27. The neuromuscular junction and neuromuscular blockade
28. Myasthenia gravis
29. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
30. Rheumatoid arthritis, other inflammatory arthritides and osteoarthritis
31. Hyperuricaemia and gout
SECTION 7 The gastrointestinal system
32. Nausea and vomiting
33. Dyspepsia and peptic ulcer disease
34. Inflammatory bowel disease
35. Constipation, diarrhoea and irritable bowel syndrome
36. Liver disease
SECTION 8 The immune system
38. The immune response and immunosuppressant drugs
39. Antihistamines and allergic disease
SECTION 9 The endocrine system and metabolism
40. Diabetes mellitus
41. The thyroid and control of metabolic rate
42. Calcium metabolism and metabolic bone disease
43. Pituitary and hypothalamic hormones
44. Corticosteroids (glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids)
45. Female reproduction
46. Androgens and anabolic steroids
47. Anaemia and haematopoietic colony-stimulating factors
48. Lipid disorders
SECTION 10 The skin and eyes
49. Skin disorders
50. The eye
SECTION 11 Chemotherapy
51. Chemotherapy of infections
52. Chemotherapy of malignancy
SECTION 12 General features: toxicity and prescribing
53. Drug toxicity and overdose
54. Substance abuse and dependence
55. Prescribing, adherence and information about medicines
56. Drug therapy in special situations
Stock Last CheckedDec 1, 2021
Publication DateAug 4, 2017
Your Elsevier book orders are actioned within 48hrs during the working week. If any one item in your purchase is delayed we will send you what is in stock and will send on the remainder as soon as it arrives. This is provided at no additional shipping cost to you. Stock availability levels are updated on a daily basis. We ship directly from a UK warehouse.
We currently maintain a flat fee structure for shipping book titles from Elsevier. Buy as many Elsevier titles as you like the we will still charge you the same single item shipping fee.
Overview Delivery Methods
Books are delivered in the UK via DHL and will require a signature upon delivery.
Deliveries within the UK
- The standard delivery time within the UK is 2 working days from the date of invoice.
- Print on demand titles take 3-5 working days.
Where is my order? Order Tracking
To find out more information about your order, select from the relevant options below:
Deliveries to the UK and UK shippers
Your order should be delivered to you/your shipper within 2-3 working days.
To track any deliveries using DPD, click here.
If your order is for a print on demand title, your delivery time will be longer, please allow an extra 3-5 working days.